Lydiard House and Park is a historic house with walled gardens and parkland on the outskirts of Swindon in Wiltshire.
Lydiard House is a Grade I listed Palladian style house that was home to the St John family for more than 500 years. The interiors feature many original period furnishings and decoration including ornate plasterwork, fine examples of porcelain, glass and silver and a collection of family portraits going all the way back to Elizabethan times. There are short informal talks about the house that occur daily at 1pm included with admission. The 12th century St Mary’s church, located behind the house is also viewable, visitors just need to borrow the key from the ticket desk.
The walled garden is laid out with a Georgian structure and is maintained organically and features traditional English flowers including roses, poppies, sweet peas and hollyhocks and a selection of fruit trees. There are a further 260 acres of parkland comprising grassland, woodland and two lakes to explore, with a wide selection of wildlife. Orienteering trails through the park available to download free from the North Wiltshire orienteers website. The park also has a large children’s play area with slides and climbing frames and a separate area for toddlers plus there iss also a Jungle Parc aerial adventure course located in the wood next to the children’s play area.
- Free car parking.
- Lydiard house ticket desk sells a small selection of gifts and souvenirs.
- Plant sales in the courtyard.
- Forest Cafe serves hot and cold drinks, snacks, cakes and light lunches.
- Tea Rooms serves light lunches, cream teas, cakes and hot and cold drinks.
- Picnics welcome in the park.
- Dogs allowed under control in parkland.
- Please check the Lydiard House and Park website for opening hours.
Ticket Prices – House and Garden:
- Adult – £6.50
- Child (3-16 yrs) – £3.50
- Senior – £6.00
- Student – £6.00
- Family Ticket (2 Adults + 1 Child) – £15.00
- Family Ticket (2 Adults + 2 Children) – £18.00
- Family Ticket (2 Adults + 3 Children) – £21.00
- Child (under 3 yrs) – Free
Prices and opening hours correct as at July 2017.
Before you start your journey to Lydiard House and Park for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.