Address: Mother Shipton’s Cave, Prophecy Lodge, High Bridge, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, HG5 8DD
Phone Number: 01423 864600
Opening Hours: Current opening times.
Mother Shipton’s Cave is a scenic area alongside the River Nidd, with associations to the seer Mother Shipton, in Knaresborough in North Yorkshire.
Mother Shipton was an infamous prophet and witch born in Knaresborough in 1488, as Ursula Sontheil. This 12 acre riverside site has locations associated to her as well as a museum about her and her predictions. The Petrifying well, (more like a waterfall than a well) is the only one of it’s kind in the UK and is believed to have healing powers. It also encases any item left in it, for a few months, in stone. There is also the Petrifying well spring to see, a wishing well, the cave where Mother Shipton was supposedly born and the Historia museum. There is also a children’s outdoor play area.
- Car parking (charge).
- Gift shop selling objects petrified in the well, minerals, gifts and souvenirs.
- Refreshments available.
- Picnic areas.
- Dogs welcome on a lead.
- 1st April 2017 to 29th October everyday 10am – 4:30pm (last admission 3:30pm).
- Closed from November through to the end of February every year.
- During the Summer holidays only the park opens later until 5:30pm with last admission 4pm
- Adult – £7
- Senior Citizens (60+) – £6
- Children 3-15 – £5
- Children Under 3s – Free
- Family (2 adults and 2 children 3-15 years, or 1 adult and 3 children; additional children £4 each to a maximum of 3) – £22
- Disabled (Adult) – £5
- Disabled (Child) – £4
- All Day Parking – £2 (in addition to admission only)
Prices and opening hours correct as at June 2017.
Before you start your journey to Mother Shipton’s Cave for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.