Thinktank is located in Birmingham City Centre and is a science museum and a digital Planetarium/immersive ‘fulldome’ theatre.
The science museum consists of 4 floors of interactive exhibits and displays plus the ‘science garden’ an interactive outdoor exploration space with 42 hands-on exhibits and an outdoor classroom. Indoor galleries include a gallery about the future, 2 galleries about the past: transport and power and 5 galleries about the present day with the topics of medicine, the body, wildlife, the street and the Kids City gallery (an under 7’s section with a water play area). There are also 2 galleries featuring collections: a natural science collection with fossils (including dinosaur skeletons), rocks and stuffed animals and a science and industry collection of items which feature aircraft, trains, cars and the world’s oldest working steam engine.
The museum also contains a digital immersive dome theatre, which can be used as a planetarium or to screen other presentations. During the day they screen 25 minute long shows at various intervals with the topics usually having some connection to space or the stars and these are included in the museum entry ticket price.
Also located at Thinktank is The Giant Screen movie theatre. Previously used just to screen IMAX presentations the theatre has now been upgraded to a digital system that can screen normal movies either in 2D or 3D, but still retains a giant (72 foot wide) screen with stadium style seating. Movies here are screened at various intervals throughout the day and tickets for screenings can be pre-booked or bought on the day (subject to availability).
- Car parks nearby (charge).
- Thinktank shop sells science related mementos.
- Thinktank cafe is a self-service cafe selling snacks and beverages.
- Cafe Lounge is a fully licensed cafe serving alcohol and snacks.
- Open from 10am – 5pm 7 days a week.
- Last admission at 4pm.
- Closed 24th, 25th and 26th December.
- Adult – £13.00
- Child (3-15 years) – £9.50
- Child (under 3 years) – Free
- Concession – £9.50
- Family of 3 (maximum 2 adults) – £30.00
- Family of 4 (maximum 2 adults) – £39.00
- Family of 5 (maximum 2 adults) – £48.50
- Planetarium shows are £1.50 per person in addition to the Thinktank admission price.
Prices and opening hours correct as at May 2016.
Before you start your journey to Thinktank for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.