Address: Gainsborough’s House, 46 Gainsborough Street, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 2EU
Phone Number: 01787 372958
Website: Visit the Gainsborough’s House website.
Opening Hours & Prices: Opening times and ticket prices.
Reviews: View reviews.
Nearby Attractions: View more days out nearby.
Gainsborough’s House is the birthplace of, and museum about, the artist Thomas Gainsborough in Sudbury in Suffolk.
The house dates from around 1520, has a Georgian façade and is of a wattle and daub construction. Thomas Gainsborough was born here in 1727 and the house is decorated in keeping with the period. There are galleries exhibiting the painter’s works including portraits and landscapes, plus some by Gainsborough’s nephew. There is information about the Gainsborough family with portraits of them, memorabilia, letters, books and items belonging to the family. Also to see at the attraction is a print workshop and a walled garden with terrace and an ancient mulberry tree dating to the early 1600s.
- Use town centre car parks.
- Gift shop selling cards, books, gifts and prints.
- Coffee shop serving light refreshments and drinks.
- Monday to Saturday: 10am – 5pm
- Sunday: 11am – 5pm
- Good Friday and between Christmas and the New Year: Closed
- Adults – £7.00
- Family – £16.00
- Children and students – £2.00
- Under 5s – Free
- Groups of 10 or more – £6 per person
- Friends and Art Fund members – Free
Prices and opening hours correct as at September 2018.
Before you start your journey to Gainsborough’s House for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.