Address: The Stained Glass Museum, The South Triforium, Ely Cathedral, Ely, Cambridgeshire, CB7 4DL
Phone Number: 01353 660347
Website: Visit The Stained Glass Museum website.
Opening Hours & Prices: Opening times and ticket prices.
Nearby Attractions: View more days out nearby.
The Stained Glass Museum is a museum about the history of stained glass, located in Ely Cathedral in the city of Ely in Cambridgeshire.
Run as a charitable organisation this indoor attraction is located on the upper level of Ely Cathedral. The gallery has more than 125 stained glass panels on display at any one time with some panels being around 800 years old. The stained glass exhibits are displayed in specially designed illuminated display cases, so that the glass can be seen as it was meant to. Other items sometimes on display include stained glass design drawings, tools and materials. Accessed by a spiral staircase of 40 steps, the gallery is inaccessible to wheelchair users.
Visitors can purchase combined tickets for the Stained Glass museum plus access to the cathedral and one or more of their guided tours. See Ely cathedral website for details of the combined tickets. Tours of stained glass exhibits available for groups for a fee by prior arrangement.
The organisation also hold regular workshops teaching the art of painting on glass and other parts of the stained glass window making process.
- Free car park nearby.
- Shop selling hand crafted gifts including jewellery, glass art, glassware and decorations.
- Cathedral gift shops selling books, CDs, DVDs, souvenirs and gifts.
- Refectory Café serving light lunches, cream teas, snacks and drinks in the cathedral.
- The Almonry serves snacks and drinks.
- Free broadband internet access.
- Monday to Saturday: 10:30am – 5pm (last admission 4:30pm).
- Sundays: 12 noon – 4:30pm (last admission 4pm).
- Closed: Good Friday, 25th December, 26th December.
- Occasionally has to close for special events, so please phone in advance of your visit.
- Adults – £4.50
- Concessions (seniors and full-time students) – £3.50
- Children (under 16) – Free (when accompanied by a paying adult).
Prices and opening hours correct as at June 2017.
Before you start your journey to The Stained Glass Museum for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.