Phone Number: 01509 632323
Website: Visit the Great Central Railway website.
Opening Hours & Prices: Opening times and ticket prices.
Reviews: View reviews.
Nearby Attractions: View more days out nearby.
Map: View map.
Great Central Railway run vintage train journeys between Loughborough and Leicester North stations in Leicestershire.
This attraction provides main line, double track, heritage train rides between Loughborough and Leicester North stations in Pullman style passenger coaches, with dedicated kitchen car, hauled by either steam or diesel vintage locomotives.
The Northern most station is Loughborough station dating from 1899 and has been restored to recreate a 1950’s appearance with wood panelled booking hall and a beautiful period wood and glass station canopy. The station also has the GCR Museum two-room exhibit with photos, documents and objects to see.
There are two stops in between the start and end stations, Quorn and Woodhouse and Rothley Stations. Both originally opened in 1899 and the Quorn and Woodhouse station is now presented with a 1940’s theme, while Rothley Station has been restored to how it would have looked in 1912. At Rothley Station there is also a Model railway garden to see running ‘G’ Scale narrow gauge electric and steam locomotives. Regular themed events including Wartime Weekends and Santa Specials at Christmas time. Driving experiences available.
- Car parking.
- Emporium at Loughborough Central selling books, CDs, DVDs, pictures and videos.
- Shop at Loughborough Central selling toys, books, gifts and games.
- Butler Henderson Café at Quorn & Woodhouse serves homemade cakes, light lunches, snacks and hot and cold drinks.
- NAAFI Style Tearoom at Quorn & Woodhouse serving snacks and drinks.
- The Buffet at Loughborough Central is licensed serves hot and cold meals, light refreshments and drinks.
- Ellis’s Tearoom at Rothley Station serving homemade cakes, sandwiches, light lunches and hot and cold drinks.
- Station Tearoom at Rothley Station serves homemade cakes, snacks and drinks.
- Station Tearoom at Leicester North station serving homemade cakes, snacks and tea and coffee.
- The Platform cafe at Leicester North (just outside the station) serves hot and cold meals, snacks and drinks.
Opening Times & Ticket Prices:
- Please visit the Great Central Railway website for opening times and prices.
Before you start your journey to Great Central Railway for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.
- Charnwood Museum
- Stonehurst Family Farm and Museum
- Creations Pottery
- Manor Farm and Woodlands
- Barneys Playbarn
- Gorse Hill City Farm