Phone Number: 0191 386 4266
Website: Visit the Durham Cathedral website.
Opening Hours & Prices: Opening times and ticket prices.
Nearby Attractions: View more days out nearby.
Map: View map.
Reviews: View Durham Cathedral reviews.
Durham Cathedral is an 11th century historic cathedral located in Durham city centre in county Durham.
Durham Cathedral is a Grade I listed, cathedral situated on a rocky outcrop inside a loop the river Wear overlooking the city. The cathedral was built to house the shrine of Saint Cuthbert in the 11th century and is currently a place of worship for the Anglican church and the seat of the Bishop of Durham.
Things for visitors to see includes lots of original Norman Romanesque architecture, stained glass windows, religious artwork, the tower, the cloisters, the medieval vaulted undercroft, the shrine of St Cuthbert, the tomb of the Venerable Bede and the paths through the surrounding green riverside areas. Guided tours of the cathedral lasting about and hour and a quarter available 2 or 3 times daily and the tower can also be climbed for views over Durham city for an additional fee.
- Free entry attraction (donations welcome).
- Use city centre car parks.
- Cathedral Shop selling CDs, books and locally-sourced gifts.
- The Undercroft Restaurant serves meals, snacks, homemade cakes, afternoon teas and drinks.
Opening Times & Ticket Prices:
- Please visit the Durham Cathedral website for opening times and prices.
Before you start your journey to Durham Cathedral for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.
- Durham Castle
- Crook Hall and Gardens
- DLI Museum and Durham Art Gallery
- Oriental Museum
- Durham University Botanic Garden
- Adventure Valley