Phone Number: 01325 460532
Website: Visit the Head of Steam - Darlington Railway Museum website.
Opening Hours & Prices: Opening times and ticket prices.
Reviews: View reviews.
Nearby Attractions: View more days out nearby.
Map: View map.
Head of Steam – Darlington Railway Museum is a museum about the history of the railways in the North East in Darlington in County Durham.
This indoor attraction is sited in three historic Stockton & Darlington railway buildings dating from the early 1800s. There are historic locomotives to see including “Locomotion No. 1” designed by Robert Stephenson which was used on the first day the Stockton and Darlington Railway opened. Amongst the other exhibits are model railway displays, railway memorablia, uniforms, a restored Victorian station’s toilets and a restored ticket office. Exhibit topics cover the times before the railways, the open day, the expansion of the railways, the decline and model railways.
- Free car parking.
- Shop selling souvenirs.
- Reception sells hot and cold drinks and crisps and biscuits.
- Outdoor picnic area.
- 1st April to 30th September: Tuesday to Sunday: 10am - 4pm
- 1st October to 31st March: Wednesday to Sunday : 11am - 3:30pm
- Open on Bank Holiday Mondays (not including Christmas day, Boxing Day or New Year’s Day).
- Adult - £4.95
- Concessions - £3.75
- Children (6 to 16 years) - £3.00
- 5 years and under - Free
- Family Pass (2 adults and up to 4 children) - £10.00
Prices and opening hours correct as at September 2019.
Before you start your journey to Head of Steam - Darlington Railway Museum for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.
- Buttercups Ceramic Studio
- Ruff 'N' Tumble Adventure World
- Walworth Castle Birds of Prey
- National Railway Museum Shildon
- Fun City
- Auckland Castle