Phone Number: 0191 529 3161
Website: Visit the Souter Lighthouse and The Leas website.
Opening Hours & Prices: Opening times and ticket prices.
National Trust Membership: FREE entry to over 500 fantastic places.
Reviews: View Souter Lighthouse and The Leas reviews.
Nearby Attractions: View more days out nearby.
Map: View map.
Souter Lighthouse and The Leas is a lighthouse on the coast between South Shields and Sunderland in Tyne and Wear.
A historic lighthouse by lieu of the fact that it was the first lighthouse in the world designed and built with the intention for it to be powered by electricity. Built in 1871 midway along the coastline between the Tyne and Wear estuaries atop a two and a half mile stretch of limestone cliffs known as the Leas. The lighthouse has it's own engine room containing a magneto-electric generator which used to provide the power until the site was connected to the national grid in 1952. There is also a Foghorn house whose dual horns sound when visibility is reduced. The site has a children's outdoor play area next to picnic benches a wildlife garden and is surrounded by Whitburn coastal park nature reserve.
- Free car parking.
- Gift shop selling local produce, hand-made gifts and souvenirs.
- Coffee shop and Tearooms serving cream teas, afternoon teas, light lunches and speciality hot drinks.
- Picnic benches.
- Please check the Souter Lighthouse and The Leas website for opening hours.
- Adult - £7.60
- Child - £3.80
- Family - £19.00
- Family (one adult) - £11.40
- Group Adult (minimum group size 15) - £6.80
- Group Child (minimum group size 15) - £3.40
- Free admission to café and shop.
Prices and opening hours correct as at January 2020.
Before you start your journey to Souter Lighthouse and The Leas for your day out, we recommend that you check their website or contact them to confirm opening times and admission prices.
- Ocean Beach Pleasure Park
- Arbeia Roman Fort and Museum
- Tynemouth Priory and Castle
- Monkwearmouth Station Museum
- Kiki’s Kabin
- Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens